This, from the collection of Lillian Kraus, is a photo of a booth at the New York City’s Sportsmen’s Show, 1953, promoting Sullivan County as a destination. The general store-themed booth was created by Jim Purcell, pictured. Every year he and a group of others would run the booth.
Thomas J. Ham was born in Honesdale, PA in 1837, five years after his parents immigrated from Cornwall. Following an education in local schools and the Wyoming Seminary and a one-year stint as a teacher in Beach Lake, he became the editor of the Wayne County Herald newspaper, becoming sole owner in 1865.
This 1958 picture is of NYSEG linemen who ran electric lines to homes in the town of Cochecton. That doesn’t seem so long ago to some of us! There was a time when electric was not available to all parts of our towns.
Samuel W. Pennypacker was governor of Pennsylvania in 1903 when the Wayne Hatchery #4 was built in Pleasant Mount. Wayne Hatchery #4 originally sat on 14 acres of property donated by Alison B. Sterling. The major water source is the Lackawaxen River via Beaver Meadows Reservoir (Belmont Lake), obtained in 1917.
Pictured is the No. 1 Lake Huntington Fire Company finishing up after a house fire. Pictured, top right, is a hose cart, possibly the one currently displayed at the Cochecton Depot, donated by the late Solomon Katzoff. The company consisted of two trucks, (Model T Fords), one chemical truck and two pumpers.
Picture courtesy of Mae Porr Carroll; shared by Victoria and Keith Krauss
Faster than fairies, Faster than witches,
Bridges and Houses, hedges and ditches,
And charging along like troops in a battle,
All through the meadows the horses and cattle;
All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Giles Greene was born in 1823, one of 12 children and a descendant of General Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary War fame. The children were put to work at an early age, and Giles only attended school for two or three months a year. At 21, he went to work as a teamster for the D&H Gravity Railroad in Carbondale, PA.
As a boy, Tom Scott was fascinated by railroad engines that passed by while he worked on his father’s 35-acre farm. He also liked to heat and shape metal. At 16, Tom was apprenticed to Jake Maas, Cochecton Center’s blacksmith. In 1906 he took over Schneider’s smithy in Cochecton.
Damascus Township, the largest of the original townships created in 1798, is still the largest. Damascus was the site of many historic events, beginning with the first settlement of Cushetunk along the Delaware River. Joseph Skinner and his family, who arrived about 1755, were probably the earliest of the Connecticut settlers.
Ice harvesting season in Lake Huntington, shown here circa early 1920s, used to take place in January or February, depending on thickness of ice. The first hole cut was large enough to hold a wooden chute. Blocks of ice varied in size, from 24 inches square to 22 inches by 42 inches.