Methodist minister Horace Weston of Connecticut was the pioneer preacher in Ulster and Sullivan counties, NY. When his health gave way in 1826, he moved to Ellenville, NY, and began to manufacture stoneware just as the Delaware & Hudson Canal facilitated distribution of his wares. Weston crocks and jugs were sold as far away as Scranton.
The first Livingston Manor Ice Carnival was held in 1959 at Scudder’s Pond. Forty years later, in 1999, The River Reporter captured this shot of one of the student sculptures that have come to form a centerpiece of the celebration.
Considering the rapid growth of railroads in the 19th century, it’s hard to believe that in the “Birthplace of the American Railroad,” passenger rail service was confined to the Delaware & Hudson Coal Company Gravity Railroad from Honesdale to Carbondale, where travelers made connections to the rest of America.
This photograph of the Pond Eddy Bridge was taken by Tom Kane for our December 18, 2003 paper, and accompanied an article on a familiar topic: controversy over the replacement or reconstruction of the bridge.
Hawley’s Winterfest celebration, which occurred this year from December 8 through 10, has been around for 18 years now.
The Delaware & Hudson Coal Company Gravity Railroad, opened in 1828 between Carbondale and Honesdale, was designed as a companion to the D&H Canal, which ran from Honesdale to Rondout (Kingston, NY) on the Hudson River.
The Cochecton Erie Depot has had its share of face lifts. Early photos show the building has a bow window for the ticket master to see the train arriving or departing. On March 1, 1973 the Erie-Lackawanna, NY No.99 freight train with three diesels pulling 90 cars left Port Jervis westbound to Chicago at 2:16 a.m.
Edgar B. Jadwin was born in Honesdale in 1865 to Cornelius and Charlotte Wood Jadwin. He attended Lafayette College and graduated first in his class from West Point in 1890. Jadwin served with various engineer units between 1891 and 1895 and fought in the Spanish–American War.
One of the Cochecton community organizations is the Women’s Community Club of Cochecton; (WCCC) founded April 17, 1956. According to the 86-stanza poem by Ethel Rohrmann Hulse, their first president was Eve Palmer and their first task was to raise funds to help a neighbor who “needed a helping hand.”
Cornelius C. Jadwin was the second son of Henry B. Jadwin and Alice G. (Plumb) Jadwin, who were married in 1832 at Canaan Corners in Wayne County, PA. Cornelius was born in Carbondale in 1835 and worked as a civil engineer on the D&H Gravity Railroad, also training as a pharmacist.